Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.


My father loves pumpkin pie.  Check that. He loves his mother's recipe for pumpkin pie.  My sister used the more than 100 year old  recipe for his 90th birthday pie.

The headline of this post comes from one of my favorite birthday cards.  It's a simple, silly message but so true.

My father turned 90 yesterday.  He's had some health issues, but mostly he's a robust, mentally sharp 90-year-old who gets around like a man 20 years younger.

My mother turned to me yesterday at his party at my sister's house and said, "We've been married 60 years."   They are very lucky and blessed to have found each other.  We are lucky and blessed that they did as well.

There is great longevity on both sides of my family.   My father's brother died a few years ago at the age of 93.  My mother's parents were 95 and 97.   My daughter's great-grandmother on her father's side lived to be 97 too.

We gathered to celebrate the man whose life made our lives possible.   Birthdays really are good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment